ABOUT Special purpose acquisition companies
Special purpose acquisition companies (“SPACs”) are public shell companies that use their initial public offering (“IPO”) proceeds to complete an initial business combination with a private company within a specific timeframe. Although SPACs have existed since the 1990s, merging into a SPAC has recently become an attractive alternative for private companies in lieu of undertaking traditional IPOs. Today, SPACs have higher quality sponsors, more blue-chip investors, bulge bracket underwriters, and better sponsor-investor alignment structures than in the past.
We invite you to access the below presentations, articles, charts, and other resources as you consider a SPAC transaction.
- SPACs: An Overview (Presentation)
- The De-SPACing Process (Presentation)
- Comparing a Reverse Merger and a SPAC Business Combination (Chart)
- Traditional IPO vs. Merging with a SPAC (Chart)
- What’s the Deal? – Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (Guide)
- Top 10 Practice Tips: PIPE Transactions by SPACs (Lexis Practice Advisor Practice Note)
- Overview of SPAC Process & Public Company Readiness (Chart)
- Staying Nimble in the SPAC PIPE Market (Bloomberg Law Professional Perspective)
Access all blog posts related to SPACs on Free Writings & Perspectives.
- An Overview of Special Purpose Acquisition Companies. In this microtalk, we provide a brief overview of SPACs.
- PIPE Transactions in Connection with SPAC Business Combinations. In this microtalk, we discuss PIPE transactions consummated by SPACs.
- Special Securities Law Considerations for SPACs & SPAC Transactions. In this microtalk, we discuss special securities law issues concerning SPACs.
- The SPAC Lifecycle: Business, Legal, & Accounting Considerations Forum 2023 (produced by PLI)
April 18, 2023 | Register here.
- A Sea Change Set of New Rules: The SEC’s Proposed Rules Applicable to SPACs (produced by PLI)
April 27, 2022 | Materials
- The SPAC Series (Part 3): Litigation and Enforcement Developments
March 4, 2022 | Materials
- The SPAC Series (Part 2): Converts & Financing Alternatives for De-SPACed Companies
February 22, 2022 | Materials & Recording
- The SPAC Series (Part 1): Recent SPAC Developments
February 15, 2022 | Recording & Materials
- 2021 US ECM Roundtable: SPACs at a Crossroads (hosted by International Finance Review)
November 17, 2021 | Recording
- SPACs: Up, up, and…away?
October 7, 2021 | Materials
- Planning Your IPO or SPAC Ahead of Time (hosted by IDBTech & Viola Growth)
August 3, 2021 | Materials
- SPACs Under SEC Scrutiny: Mitigating Potential Liability for Offering Participants
May 19, 2021 | Recording
- Merging with a SPAC and Preparing for Life as a Public Company
May 18, 2021 | Recording & Materials
- SPACs: A Market Update and Securities and Regulatory Overview
April 28, 2021 | Materials
- The De-SPACing Transaction
The SPAC Life Cycle: Business, Legal and Accounting Considerations Forum 2021 (produced by PLI)
April 20, 2021 | Materials
- Redefining Liquidity Alternatives: IPOs, Direct Listings, and SPACs
NEXUS:ISRAEL Dealmakers Summit (produced by AFHU)
March 23, 2021 | Materials
- De-SPACing: Accounting and Securities Law Considerations (co-hosted with EY)
February 25, 2021 | Recording & Materials
- De-SPACing: Overview, Special Securities Law and Financial Statement Considerations and Derisking the Process with a PIPE Transaction (produced by PLI)
January 27, 2021 | Materials
- Becoming a US Public Company: The New Three-Track Process (produced by IFLR)
December 1, 2020 | Recording & Materials
- PIPE & Other Capital Raising Transactions in Connection with De-SPACing (co-hosted with ICR Strategic Communications & Advisory and Stifel)
November 5, 2020 | Recording & Materials
- Going Public in the US by Merging into a SPAC: Weighing the Pros and Cons (co-hosted with Herzog Fox & Neeman)
November 2, 2020 | Recording & Materials
- An IPO Alternative: Life Sciences Reverse Merger
October 22, 2020 | Recording & Materials
- SPAC Offerings, De-SPACing Transactions, and Related PIPE Transactions
SIFMA Annual Meeting 2020
October 19-20, 2020 | Request materials
- Interesting Corporate Transactions of the Past Year
Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions, Dispositions, Spin-Offs, Joint Ventures, Financings, Reorganizations & Restructurings 2020 (produced by PLI)
October 15, 2020 | Recording & Materials
- SPACs Boom onto the Market in 2020 as an Alternative to Traditional IPOs
US ECM Roundtable Webinar Series (produced by the International Finance Review)
October 13, 2020 | Recording & Materials